Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The FINAL Countdown

This is it, folks! The last two weeks of my first semester back at college. They're going to be busy ones. I have seven tests and/or oral exams between now and December 13. Allow me to detail:

Tues 5 Dec - Trig (math) exam
Wed 6 Dec - Drafting presentation (oral exam)
Thu 7 Dec - Plans & Specs Exam
Fri 9 Dec - Microcomputer Applications Exam
Mon 11 Dec - Construction Lab Final
Tues 12 Dec - Math Final
Wed 13 Dec - Building Construction Systems Final

I only have four "finals" - drafting, lab, math and BCS. But of the remaining three, the trig exam and the Plans & Specs exam will be brutal. Trig, because it's Trig(onometry) and Plans and Specs because it's over the 29 pages of plans, plus the specifications, for a Wendy's Restaurant. The Microcomputers exam will seem like a vacation compared to everything else.

Of my four finals, I think Drafting and BCS will go the smoothest. BCS will be "easy" because it's vocabulary only, and I have all the words written in note form so all I have to do is refer back to my notes if I need help. (Jim lets us use notes for his tests.) Drafting is a little scarier - it's an oral exam, where you have to convince Jim (the same guy that teaches BCS) that he should "hire" you to build an addition on to his cabin. I have the drawings 99% done: I only have to modify one thing, and then I have to put the presentation together, and that will take a while. I'm mostly nervous about what questions Jim will ask and what "extemporaneous" drawings he'll expect from me. I'm not good at extemporaneous.

The Math and Lab finals I am NOT looking forward to. Barry teaches both of those classes, and Barry has a nasty habit of tossing in "distractors", things that can confuse you and make you screw up. The worst thing about it is, Barry seems to really enjoy watching you panic. I would say that he has a sadistic streak, but outside of his tests, Barry is an incredibly nice guy. He's given me lecture notes to help me study, which is why I don't understand the reasoning behind his test-writing. Maybe he has an evil twin, or something.

So the countdown to the end of the semester has started. Two weeks from today, at 10 AM, I will have officially completed my first semester in the Architectural Technology program. One down, four to go.

Pass the chocolate!

3 Comments:

Blogger the 'ol dad said...

Go Nancy! Think Hersheys!!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Bismuth said...

ah finals... brings back fond memories...

or not!

11:16 PM  
Blogger neophyte said...

I'm right there with you. Paper due Friday, final to take online between Friday and Monday, Paper due Tuesday, Final on Tuesday.

I'm sure yours will all go well; good luck anyway!

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home