Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The FINAL Countdown

This is it, folks! The last two weeks of my first semester back at college. They're going to be busy ones. I have seven tests and/or oral exams between now and December 13. Allow me to detail:

Tues 5 Dec - Trig (math) exam
Wed 6 Dec - Drafting presentation (oral exam)
Thu 7 Dec - Plans & Specs Exam
Fri 9 Dec - Microcomputer Applications Exam
Mon 11 Dec - Construction Lab Final
Tues 12 Dec - Math Final
Wed 13 Dec - Building Construction Systems Final

I only have four "finals" - drafting, lab, math and BCS. But of the remaining three, the trig exam and the Plans & Specs exam will be brutal. Trig, because it's Trig(onometry) and Plans and Specs because it's over the 29 pages of plans, plus the specifications, for a Wendy's Restaurant. The Microcomputers exam will seem like a vacation compared to everything else.

Of my four finals, I think Drafting and BCS will go the smoothest. BCS will be "easy" because it's vocabulary only, and I have all the words written in note form so all I have to do is refer back to my notes if I need help. (Jim lets us use notes for his tests.) Drafting is a little scarier - it's an oral exam, where you have to convince Jim (the same guy that teaches BCS) that he should "hire" you to build an addition on to his cabin. I have the drawings 99% done: I only have to modify one thing, and then I have to put the presentation together, and that will take a while. I'm mostly nervous about what questions Jim will ask and what "extemporaneous" drawings he'll expect from me. I'm not good at extemporaneous.

The Math and Lab finals I am NOT looking forward to. Barry teaches both of those classes, and Barry has a nasty habit of tossing in "distractors", things that can confuse you and make you screw up. The worst thing about it is, Barry seems to really enjoy watching you panic. I would say that he has a sadistic streak, but outside of his tests, Barry is an incredibly nice guy. He's given me lecture notes to help me study, which is why I don't understand the reasoning behind his test-writing. Maybe he has an evil twin, or something.

So the countdown to the end of the semester has started. Two weeks from today, at 10 AM, I will have officially completed my first semester in the Architectural Technology program. One down, four to go.

Pass the chocolate!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah finals... brings back fond memories...

or not!

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home