Monday, January 08, 2007

Monday Blatherskite

Today was the first day of spring semester. Pretty blah - I only had one class, Drafting II, and it was over by 10:00. I ran some errands, then went home and caught up on some paperwork (PTA and Community Club). After supper I went out to feed Moose Mutt, and as I walked back in the door the phone rang. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello?
Him: Is Nancy there, please?
Me: This is Nancy.
Him: Hi! I'm Steve with the Army Reserves. How would you like to come and work for us part time?
Me: Uh, no, I can't, I'm a student now. (thinking - I don't remember giving them an application last year when I was searching)
Him: Oh, we'll pay for your college if you...
Aha! NOW I understand!!
Me (interrupting): Do you have any idea how old I am?
Him: (sounding cautious) How old are you?
Me: 43.
Him: Oh! Just past our cut off age. (Me - thinking "Yeah, right.") So do you have any relatives who might be interested?
Me: I'm sorry, I already have a nephew in the Air Force.
Him: Thank you for your time. CLICK

I couldn't help it - as soon as I put the phone down I doubled over, laughing. Apparently, this recruiter thought I was an 18 year old college student! I guess Kirkwood just hands out lists of new students, and the recruiters start at the top of the list and call everyone, regardless. I mean, really, you'd think they'd separate us "mature" students from the kids so the recruiters don't make fools of themselves over the phone. But then again, isn't "military intellegence" an oxymoron?

The more I think about this, though, the more annoyed I get. Not at the recruiter - but at the college! For Pete's sake, do they have to give lists to all these people without any consideration as to whether or not that student fits the callers' parameters? And it's not just the callers, but the junk mailers, too. When Carl was getting his Masters degrees, he got stuff all the time from loan companies wanting him to consolidate his student loans into one easy payment. They even sent us letters addressed to Carl's PARENTS, for crying out loud! It was stupid! With a little data mining, the schools could have figured out that Carl and his classmates were having their tuitions paid by their companies and it wasn't necessary to give their names to the loan consolidators. Sheesh!

And while I'm blowing off steam...Ohio State is down 20 points to Florida in the BCS Championship game. Looks like the Buckeyes accidentally put the football uniforms on the band. Maybe the second half will be better..

Yeah, right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home