Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Sometimes, It's The Little Things

It was a long, tough weekend, our first Memorial Day holiday with our diabetic princess. We went out of town (to my Mom's) and the challenges were daunting at times, but we managed to get through it. I only had one major meltdown - it was pretty bad, but I won't go into detail. It's not worth it.

Today, however, back at home we're starting to re-align our summer plans. We're debating whether or not to go to Lake Okoboji after we go to South Dakota: I already have reservations for the 4th of July at Gull Point State Park, but if Boo's hospital bills are overwhelming, we'll have to skip that extra week out. I called the Parks and Recreation service about the girls' swim lessons, and they said that as long as the girls can administer Mary's blood sugar tests themselves, the teachers will make accomodations for them. So tonight Hannah got a lesson in how to give the test. But she gave the test to me because Mary didn't want Hannah to touch her. But here's the good part: Mary did her own blood test, poke and all!! It's the first time she's done the whole thing alone, with only Mommy supervision. We'll spend the rest of the week letting Mary do her own testing, with Hannah watching to make sure it's done right. Mary will be her own "primary" test giver, and Hannah is her "back up emergency" test giver. It will be Hannah's responsibility to write down Mary's glucose levels, and also to make sure Mary ingests the appropriate amount of carbs, but Mary will do her own tests. Hopefully, this can carry over to soccer camp as well. And it's needless to say that Mommy is very proud of her girls!

In planning the rest of the summer, we've already decided the garden is out. We never had time to work the ground up the way we'd have liked, and it just got too late to plant anything we really wanted. Also, the landscaping we wanted to do this year will have to wait a year, because we just can't afford it. My school money is already being eaten up, and I hope the scholarship I applied for is merciful.

But I do have a single, happy personal moment to share, unfortunately at the expense of my older-older brother Bob and his son-in-law, John. (Before I start this tale, let me emphasize that these are both great guys and wonderful gentlemen. It's too bad they became the targets of this joke. Sorry, guys!) Anyway, Monday morning we're at my Mom's, and a bunch of us wanted to make a Wal-Mart run. I'm going to take my SUV, so everyone can ride with me. But the guys thought I was being too slow getting going (I had to give Mary her glucose test) so they left in Bob's van a couple minutes before me. (The guys were in a hurry to get back to the house because a friend of Bob's was supposed to drop by.) My sister Kathy and her daughter-in-law Serena were riding with me, and I was a little put out (just a very little bit, Bob and John!) that they couldn't wait for us. So I decided to make them pay for it. I flew to Wal-Mart (having a 5.4L V-8 engine is worth the lousy gas mileage sometimes) and pulled into the parking lot right behind them. I parked next to them, and we women went on our way. We split up, but the guy's van was still there by the time we got back to my truck. The guys were nowhere around. Serena had seen them perusing the sunglasses kiosk, so I figured they'd be a while yet, and I just couldn't let the moment go. So I had Serena write the following on a piece of paper for me:

Women Power Shop!
Men Power Slop!
Women Rule!
See you back at the house, slow pokes!

I stuck the note under Bob's windshield, and we left. We were home and already had the truck unpacked by the time Bob and John arrived. They didn't seem too amused, but I was.

Like I said, sometimes it's the little things. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your girls sound wonderful. :)

I was sad to read about Boo. As a mom I know that when something is wrong with your child....well, I don't have the words.

My daughter takes things in stride that would have me on the floor. That's the way things are so she just goes with it. Kids are awesome!

Sounds like your Boo is doing well. I have a friend with diabetes (same kind) and she is now married and has two children. Regulating everything during the pregnancies was tough but, it is possible!

All the best to you and your family AN. My thoughts are with you guys. :)

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home