Thursday, May 18, 2006

Talking About My Education

Wow. It's been quite a ride the past 3 1/2 days. Learning about insulin, sliding scales, blood tests, carb units - it was almost completely overwhemling, but I'm starting to get a handle on it. It's nice, having my laptop here at the hospital, because I can get online to blog and shop (Mary chose three Medic Alert wristbands so that she's fashionable wherever she goes) and I can organize my thoughts into notes and charts. I already made a chart for tracking Mary's meals, glucose tests, carbs and shots, and the dietician approved. Actually, she was (I think and hope) impressed. I'm pretty sure a local print shop can make me a box full of charts, complete with three hole punch, so I can keep it all in a binder for the doctor's perusal. Carl and I have learned how to test Mary's blood sugar levels and also how to give her insulin. Carl stayed here last night, and when I came back this morning I brought in boxes and labels from some of Mary's favorite foods so I can start getting a grip on carb counting.

Mary, bless her 24 carat gold heart, is really taking this in stride. Of course, all the "pokies" scare her, and she doesn't like them, but she's getting used to the fact that she has to have them. This morning, while Carl was here, she even did her own finger poke before her blood test. I can't begin to praise this kid enough! I'm very proud of her. We hope to go home today, but it depends on how the first few blood tests go.

And people have been incredibly, overwhelmingly nice. I had lots of wonderful comments from my blogit friends (THANKS, Y'ALL!!). My family is being very supportive, and our church has gone above and beyond to help - they've sent flowers, gifts, food, and someone even went all the way out to Atkins and mowed our lawn! I don't know who did it, but THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. It had to be someone who either knows our dog or is good with animals, because they got the backyard done with Moose Mutt back there. Mary's teacher came and brought her "get well" cards and a gift from her classmates, and also Boo's homework (which she has partially finished.) The hospital staff is just about the kindest bunch ever. Their bedside manner makes an impossible situation tolerable, and a local Girl Scout troop gave the nurses a stash of "gift bags" so Boo's had stuff to do the whole time she's here. Right now she's drawing, an amazing feat in and of itself because she still has her cast on, so all of her work is done left handed. What a kid!

And speaking of kids, Boo's big sister has been a comfort. She's been very sympathetic, and her happy spirit cheers us up when we're down. And she's not jealous of all the attention and presents that Boo's been getting because being jealous is not part of her "autistic routine". I've been trying to give Hannah lots of hugs, and the last time I told her what a good and helpful girl she's been, she gave me that "please, stop Mom" look that teenagers give you when they're annoyed. I have to admit, God has blessed us with great kids. I only wish that they weren't also "blessed" with chronic disases. My girls really didn't deserve them.

But I shouldn't whine, and I apologize for being whiny. I love my girls, and when they hurt I hurt. All you parents out there understand that, I know, and I thank you for your understanding as I've vented myself out on my blog. Hopefully the next time I blog, it will be something funny.

You know, like booger jokes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful, AN. You have two great kids and I'm not at all surprised at how well Boo is doing. I bet it's a lot harder on you & Carl than it is on her.

Kids are amazingly adaptable and I'm sure she's well on the way to dealing with this.

All the best to you all.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home