Wednesday, September 07, 2005

There's No Do-Overs

I'm depressed. I watched the movie St. Elmo's Fire while I was folding laundry, and unfortunately it took me back to a time when my hair was long, curly and non-grey, my gut was flat, my thighs and my (ahem!) bosoms were shapely, and I wasn't ashamed to wear a swimsuit. Those were the days when I could lay out on a beach towel in front of my old dorm building and good-looking guys would want to talk to me. It doesn't seem like that long ago, but it was. Twenty years have passed since those days, and it amazes me how fast they flew by.

Am I the only one who wishes they could go back in time and spend one more semester at college? Yeah, I know the school work was hard, but the rest of the time was fun. Of course, I screwed up my college education by not knowing what career path to follow, but hindsight is 20-20 and if I had it to do all over again, I'd change everything except the part about meeting Carl. I'd never want to change that. Carl's the only good thing that happened to me between 1982 and 1986. But I would want to change what I studied. I'd get either a meteorology degree, or an ag management degree. That probably sounds funny, but it's true.

However, there ain't no going back, so I suppose I'll have to live in the present. For those of you who read the "flat gut" part and immediately jumped to the conclusion that a diet would do me good, you're right, but hold your horses. I have some digestive problems, so on October 3rd I have to go to a stomach doctor (no I can't spell the specialty) and have an endoscopy. They'll stick a tube down my throat and try and figure out why prevacid won't completely stop my proton pumps. You want that explanation in English? Me, too.

Meanwhile, I have to get ready for tonight. Hannah and I are taking a "one-stroke" painting class and I need to get some stuff together. The class lasts for three weeks (on Wednesdays) and hopefully it will be enjoyable for both of us. It won't be like college, but at least we'll be learning something.

But I still feel depressed, and really, really OLD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home