Monday, May 23, 2005

Greetings from Grinderswitch

Thanks for the link to the picture, Bob. What a hoot! How-deeee! I'm just so proud to be here!

Well, me and my hat (and Carl and Mary) did get some gardening done yesterday. I've now discovered a total of seven asparagus plants, and I'm thrilled. My onions are at "green" stage, so some of them can be harvested and eaten. The rest will grow to full size and will be harvested later. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all those onions. Nor do I have any idea of what I'm going to do with the radishes I harvested yesterday. I pulled out the big ones (and thus finally thinned the patch) and I've got, like, maybe forty or so. We also have a big bowl of leaf lettuce, and lots more to come. I need to thin that patch, and I think I'll just dump the leaves in the back yard (a person can only eat so much salad) and let the rabbits have it. Hmmm, let the rabbits have it....sic 'em, Judah! Kill the wabbit!

But I digress. Yesterday, with Mary's help, I planted six tomato and four green pepper plants. It was really windy, so I built a short chicken wire fence and tied the tomato plants to that. I also tied the pepper plants to stakes, so hopefully they'll get nice and strong. But I need to get some more seed in, and I wasn't relishing the idea of turning the soil over manually, so I asked Carl if I could rent the cultivator-thingy again. I said, "It would help get rid of these weeds, too." He said that rather than rent a cultivator (and keep renting it) I should just get one and be done with it. So today I went shopping and found a nice one - a Troy-Built 26cc four-cycle gas cultivator-edger. (insert Tim Taylor grunt here) It came assembled, but I haven't done anything with it yet because the instructions say you need "gas stabilizer" and I don't have any. At least not the internal-combustion engine type - Maalox Max doesn't count. So instead of tilling the garden, I gave the dog a bath. He needed it. He really stank.

So tonight, hopefully, after Carl gets home (and also after supper) I'll get out and till the garden up. Then I'll hoe around the tomato and pepper plants, and I'll probably plant seed tomorrow. I think I'm turning into my Mom...but that's not a bad thing, is it?

Here, have a radish.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Nancy said...

We could try setting a trail of lettuce leaves from your tulips, through the gate and past Judah's doggy door. Nothing like delivery straight to your door.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home