Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Price Of Gas

Gas prices are high right now - everybody knows this. Most people gripe about it. Yet on May 14 Congress (yet again) passed legislation preventing oil exploration and drilling in Alaska, and off both coasts of the US. Meanwhile, Cuba is allowing China to drill for oil 45 miles off the Florida coast. Go figure.

But this blog isn't about the price of gasoline. It's about this morning's trip to the veterinarian. Last week I made an appointment for all three of our pets to see the vet. This is something that had been put off for months. I was in school and working, and Carl was working regular and overtime, so neither of us could get away. Plus, up until mid March the weather really stank, so even getting out of the house was a challenge. But this week I'm between jobs, so I'm catching up on all of those neglected chores (housecleaning, gardening, blogging, etc) and I needed to get the pets to the vet.

Taking all three at once is rather difficult. I can handle Moose Mutt myself, or I can handle both cats by myself, but I can't manage the menagerie. Carl had to help. I made the appointment for 8AM, the soonest possible slot after getting the girls off to school so Carl would miss a minimum of work time. He and I put our heads together and came up with this scheme: since the can redemption place is on the way to the vet's office, I would take the animals in my truck along with our cans and bottles, leave early, stop at the can place first then meet Carl at the vet's. Carl took the girls to school, and since he didn't have the pets he had doot duty. This works best because he has the pickup and can put the specimen bags in the truck bed so they won't raise a stink. The stink got raised in my truck because I had the doot producers with me. Fortunately it was a nice morning, so I could put the back windows down part way without freezing. Plus, Moose Mutt got to stick his head out the window and sniff, and also draw the stares of other motorists who couldn't believe the size of that dog!

Anyway. I should clarify that none of the pets made doots in the truck. However, their gas emissions were almost overwhelming. I'm going to be blunt: when comparing molecule for molecule cat farts smell waaaaaay worse than dog farts. But our dog is so big that he produces more gas in one fart than the cats produce in a week. Combine that with the relatively small enclosed space of a Ford Expedition, and the need to open the windows becomes obvious.

Long story short, though, I got my cans turned in ($5.60 worth) and I made it to the vet. Carl got there about 10 minutes later. He took the cats; I got the dog. They put us in one room, but that wasn't a problem because the cats and dog get along OK. Dr. Shaver (who is a wonderful vet!) took care of Judah first, and when he was finished I took him back out to the truck while Carl handled the cats. All three pets are very healthy, although Judah is a couple pounds overweight. Their vaccinations are now up to date, and Judah's heartworm test came back negative. I guess you could say everything came out all right....... in the end.

HA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home