Friday, May 09, 2008

Final-ly

Tomorrow I graduate from Kirkwood Community College. I had my three final finals this past week, and now all I have to do is the Pomp and Circumstance Shuffle across the stage at the US Cellular Center where I'll receive my empty diploma holding folder. That's right - all they give you is the folder. The graduates won't be seated in any particular order, so they won't have any way to quickly distribute the real certificates. Instead, when you show up to register they give you a card with your graduation information on it. As you approach the stage, you give your card to an usher who gives the cards to the MC (or ringmaster or whatever you call him) and when it's your turn they read your card and hand you the folder. The diploma comes in the mail later.

In some ways, it's nice to be done with school. I'll have my evenings free again. I won't have to do homework, and I won't have to bring work home from work because I'd spent the day in classes. But I'll miss my classmates. OK - I'll miss most of my classmates. There's a couple that I have to admit I won't miss. And I'll miss my instructors: Jorge, Tom, Jim, Steve and Barry. They were great to work with and learn from. They were friendly and nice, and if you wanted to learn something extra, or you needed help, they were happy to spend time with you. All things considered, my two and a half years at Kirkwood were pleasant and enjoyable. Maybe someday, I'll go back. I'm definitely going to try to get my girls to do their first two years there. The tuition will be lower, they can live at home (cheaper than an apartment) and they'll have a better chance at scholarships.

So what will I do now that I'm done with school? I'm going to change jobs. I found employment at an engineering firm that's only 1/3 the commute distance compared to where I work now. My last day will be next Friday (the 16th - also my 21st wedding anniversary) and I'll start the new job May 27th. I'll also have more time to spend with my girls. I promised them that this summer I'd teach them how to sew and paint, and I promised Boo-Boo that I'd start walking and jogging with her. I'll also have more time to spend with Carl, but what we're going to do is none of your dang business. ;)

Speaking of Carl, he just came in here looking for Skeeter, one of our cats. We shut the cats in the basement at night, and while Maya doesn't mind going downstairs, Skeeter usually hides. She also hides when she doesn't want to come in from the garage. I couldn't get her to come in tonight, so I stood in the doorway between the house and the garage and pressed the panic button on my SUV's remote. The truck only honked twice before this flying black streak of fur went whizzing past me and into the living room. A quick and effective solution to the problem.

Tomorrow I graduate. I'll have more time for my husband, my kids, my pets and myself. I can get my studio cleaned out, and I can start painting again. I can feel myself beginning, ever so slightly, to relax.

Life is good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bob Hentrich said...

Congratulations, Nancy!

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home