Friday, January 27, 2006

The Decision

Well, after more research and a long discussion with Carl, I've decided to pursue the Architectural Technology option. I truly believe God is opening this door, and closing the ones toward Pet Grooming. I base this on the following information: the P.G. program is open to only ten people, and they already have those ten set to start this fall. Then there's a waiting list of ten more people who'd like to enter the program. They get first crack at the P.G. program that starts in 2007. Goodness knows when I'd be able to get in. However, the A.T. program is wide open right now. They take about 35 people, and if I act reasonably quickly I can start this fall. To that end, I called Iowa State University and had them send a transcript of my (abysmal) grades to Kirkwood. Monday I meet with the same guidance counselor that I met with before, and at that time I'll turn in my admissions application.

Now all I have to do is get some money. Therefore, I plan to call Iowa Workforce Development on Monday morning and get an appointment with the career counselor I met with last fall. I'm going to update her on my situation and ask her to please help me find some type of evening employment. I want around 20 - 30 hours per week. Hopefully by August I'll have enough money for books and supplies, at least. The A.T. program coordinator said it takes $500 - $600 for just books and supplies in the first semester. I kinda doubt that I'll have to spend that much, as I have both Carl's and Daddy's drafting tools at my disposal. I wonder if that'll freak out the instructor: using drafting squares and rulers that are from the 1950's.

So pray for me, and wish me luck. I must admit to being a little scared - I have a tendency to fall asleep over textbooks. But I take comfort in the knowledge that in my last semester at Iowa State, I got such good grades that I made the Dean's List. And I'm alot more mature now than I was then.

Well, sort of...

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Awesome, Aunt Nan! You're an inspiration. I'm truly happy for you. :-)

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I have no clue what Architectural Technology is, I'm sure you do and that's what's important! GOod luck with it and I'm sure you'll do fine.

And yes, more mature is definitely better when it comes to school! The last time I went back and finished I got all As my last two years.

9:05 AM  
Blogger DonnaJo said...

YAY!!!!

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home