Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Chirstmas Eve Blatherskite

Carl and I have quite a few Christmas CD's. Like everyone else, we have our favorites, but there are always discs that have songs on them that you just can't stand. For instance, on the fifth Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD Chip Davis took his beautiful Christmas Lullaby song and wrote lyrics to it, and then had Olivia Newton-John sing them. I can't STAND Olivia Newton-John (aka Olivia Neutron-Bomb) thus the instrumental version of the song is all but ruined for me. Another song I can't stand is Stevie Nicks' version of Silent Night on our Very Special Christmas CD. If there was a prize for the worst butchery ever done to a Christmas song she'd have won it.

But the one song that really grates my cheese is I Believe in Santa Claus sung by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. What especially torques me off is the lyric line "I believe there is a God somewhere although He's hard to see." Every time Dolly sings that line, the girls and I say, "Open your eyes and look around, stupid!" Sheesh. God isn't hard to see: you just have to want to look for Him.

I mean, I see God all the time. I see Him in the night sky, when all the stars are out and the air is clear. I see Him when I watch our daughters playing their trombones in band. I see Him when our three cats are cuddled up on the couch together. I see Him in my husband's beautiful blue eyes, especially when Carl has that "I really love you" look on his face. When I stop to consider where I might be now and what I may have become if God hadn't put Carl and me together I can see how God's plans work out for the best. I see God in the brush-strokes of everything I've ever painted, and it's very humbling to know that He has provided me with a wonderful talent. God is everywhere - from the tiny little molecules of DNA that make us up to the Earth that we all live on. He's there if you want to see Him. And what better time to look for Him than that time of year when we celebrate the birth of His son Jesus? God's not hard to see if you open your eyes, your heart and your mind and really look. He's there. I know. I've seen Him.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home