Monday, July 25, 2005

Mid-Summer Blues

In one week, it will be August. In one month, school starts. The summer is flying by, faster than ever before. I usually mark "mid-summer" when the corn goes into tassel stage. Well, the corn's in tassel stage, and the heavy, humid air smells of corn pollen. Now, if we could just get some rain to help those corn kernels fill out.

This summer has definitely been hotter than last summer. I haven't had the windows open hardly at all, whereas last summer they were open almost all the time. We're supposed to have a cold front come through tonight, so maybe tomorrow will be an open-window day.

Watermelon Days is coming up fast. It's the first weekend in August, so this year its the 5th and 6th. I'm in charge of printing out certificates and awards, and I've been working on that today. I have the templates I made last year, so all I have to do is change the dates and a couple other things and print them out. So far I've gotten the "volunteers banner" and the sponsors' Letters of Appreciation done. 26 down, 72 or so to go. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to be in the parade. I'm not sure. I'd rather go to the Mercantile auction in Garrison, where they'll be selling off fixtures and inventory from the store, some of it dating back almost 100 years. I'm an admitted antique-a-holic. However, like my grandfather used to say...no money, no funny.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping tonight's cold front will bring in a decent rainfall so I won't have to water the garden. All that's left to harvest is the tomatoes and green peppers, and maybe another picking or two of green beans. The lettuce is done - its all stemmy and leggy and tough and therefore inedible. And I don't know what's up with the carrots, but they taste bad. And they don't get very big. So I'm never planting carrots again. I doubt that next year we'll do radishes, either. Actually, Carl wants to go fence-to-fence with the garden next year. I don't mind so much, as long as Carl's around to help with the weeding and stuff. I'm hoping to get a roto-tiller attachment for our garden tractor to do the heavy duty plowing type stuff. I just don't think the micro tiller is made for sod busting. Sheesh! Here I am, planning next year's garden, and it isn't even supposed to be my garden!

Anyway. Summer's half over. Too soon it will be autumn, and even though autumn is my favorite season, somehow I'm just not ready for it yet. Maybe I will be by September.

Or, maybe not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home