Saturday, April 16, 2005

Time Passages

I meant to write this last night, April 15. But after a day of lawn mowing, I put the girls to bed, went to lay down for just a minute...and...well...ZZZZZZZ.......

I don't know why, but for some reason April 15 is a day marking many events. As I was thinking about some of them, the Al Stewart song Time Passages was playing in my head. What events was I remembering? Well...

Today is Tax Day, and it has been for I don't know how long. I'd like to see it vanish, replaced by either a flat tax or a national sales tax, but I doubt that will ever happen. When the hog is used to gorging from the trough you find it's hard to put him on a diet.

One year ago today we lost our neighbor, Dave, in a motorcycle accident. Dave was a good guy. He was honest, faithful to his wife Angie, and a great father to his four kids: Taylor, who is in fifth grade with Hannah; Dave Jr, in fourth grade; Ben, in third grade; and Samantha, who's around two years old. His family seems to be getting along OK, but I can't imagine how it must be for poor Angie. Fortunately, they have lots of relatives and friends in town, so she's always had someone around to help out.

Three years ago today my parents moved from their farm to a house in town. We had a big crowd there to help, but since its been three years I can't remember who all was there. But I seem to remember my brother Bob was there, with his daughter Shannon and her husband, John. I also remember that it was a really hot day for April, and we had all the windows in the house open. I also seem to remember a birthday cake...

Yes! It was twenty-some years ago today that my nephew-in-law John was born. I'm not sure exactly how old he is, but for a twenty-something guy he's alot more mature than most guys his age. Yet, he's not a serious-pouty type of guy either. He's a good fit into our family. (i.e. he's kinda screwy.) Although, this I must ponder: on Shannon's birthday, he and Bob always play the Beatles' birthday song for her. Do they play that song for John, or do they play the Beatles' Tax Man? I'm sure someone will tell me. (hint hint)

It was 7 1/2 years ago today that my daughter Mary was born. We have no special music that we play. But when I was pregnant, and we were choosing names, Carl wanted the baby to be named Jason, if she turned out to be a he. I agreed, then someone pointed out that the baby was to be born in October and if the baby was born on Halloween, and named Jason, well, there could be some stigmatism for that child later in life. Fortunately she was born on the 15th, and she was and is a she, and is named for her grandmothers.

And lastly, but not leastly, it was 3 1/2 years ago today that my grand-nephew Luke was born. We don't get to see him much, but whenever he and Mary get together, they always have a good time.

So here's to April 15, a day to remember, because if you forget you'll forget special moments, special people, and you'll have Federal IRS agents breathing down your neck.

Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight...

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

yes, they do play the birthday song for John too.

and one more for the record. Jonathan proposed to Ashley on April 15.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home