Thursday, January 06, 2005

Snowstorm Update

Well, the snowstorm is over. We got 12" of snow, what I like to call a "nuisance snow". It's a nuisance because school gets cancelled but the adults still have to go to work. Just once I'd like to see a real, honest-to-goodness blizzard hit here, the kind of storm that shuts down the entire state for three days. We haven't had a storm that bad since 1973, and I'm starting to get bored. I know no one agrees with me because the snow has to be shoveled and businesses have to keep running to make money. But a blizzard would be exciting, whereas a 12" snowfall is just a pain in the butt.

School was supposed to have started Monday, but because of the freezing rain and snow we've had this week, the girls only went to school on Tuesday, and they started the day two hours late. Tomorrow the school district has another two hour late start, probably because we live in a rural county and it takes forever to plow the bizillions of miles of gravel roads we have. (Sometimes I wonder if the road crews can even find all the roads.) But what gets me is when the TV newspeople say "Road conditions are dangerous, don't leave your house" but Carl still has to go to work. Doesn't it make sense that, if all the schools are closed, they should close the businesses, too? I get stomach aches and headaches whenever Carl is out driving in bad weather because I worry about him so much. He's a good driver (and both our vehicles have four wheel drive) it's the other idiots that scare me. You know, the people who drive their rear wheel drive cars a little too fast for conditions while talking on their cell phones. My dog has more common sense than those drivers. Where do they think they are, Florida?

Well, speaking of my dog, he's been living the life of Reilly lately. He spent most of yesterday in the house because I couldn't bear the thought of him being outside in the storm (heated doghouse not withstanding). Today he had the girls to play with outside, plus one of Boo-Boo's friends came over, so he was having a rip-roarin' good time. I wish I could've gotten this on tape: Boo-Boo and her friend were taking turns pulling each other around the yard on our toboggan, and every once in a while Judah would jump in, grab the rope out of the girls' hands, and play tug-of-war with it, thus towing the girls around the yard (kids in forward, dog in reverse). They thought that was pretty funny. The girls also lavished the dog with lots of poochie treats. Yeah, he's got it good, alright, the big mutt.

I guess the only nice thing about school delays and cancellations is that I get to sleep in late. And right now sleep sounds like a good idea. G'night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home