Tuesday, December 21, 2004

A First Time For Everything

This past Saturday the girls and I went down to my parents' for the weekend. We had two things to do on our agenda: on Saturday, go listen to the trio my brother Keith is in, Acoustic Timbre; on Sunday, go to a family Christmas party involving my dad, his brothers and their families. Carl did not come with us as he had classes that weekend. However, the Wednesday before we left I got a surprise call from my brother Keith inviting me to play my autoharp with his trio. Of course I leapt at the opportunity! I practiced hard (so hard, in fact, that Carl had to do some minor repair work to my 'harp) and on Saturday I got to play two songs with the trio. I had alot of fun, and I must say I didn't do too bad of a job, either. The only hitch in the whole night was when my girls got into a spat and Boo-Boo came running up on stage to try and get my attention. Oh, well. That's why we call her Boo-Boo. But anyway. It was a real privilege and honor to get to play with Acoustic Timbre and I hope I get to do it again sometime. Pleeeze, Keith?!?

And while we're on the subject of musical firsts, last night was Hannah's first ever band concert. She plays trombone - in fact, she's the lone 'bone in the fifth grade band. But she did really well, and Carl and I are so proud of her. However, during the concert, it started to precipitate outside, one of those nasty rain/snow mixes. No one knew it, though, until Eric Huinker (the principal) came into the auditorium at the end of the concert in his winter jacket and told the audience what was going on. So we trekked out to Candy and started for home. Carl was driving, and it was Candy's first trip in da snow, and I told him "If you wreck my new truck, I'll (insert violent verb here) you." Carl wasn't daunted, though, until he tried to turn left onto the main drag and the truck didn't want to go along. Carl managed to stop before we went into the ditch and he got righted and kept going, limping carefully along behind the other creeping traffic. We had the truck in all-wheel drive but it took Carl a while to get a feel for both the first snow event of the year and for how Candy handles in that situation. But all went well, and we happily, wearily and safely pulled into the garage. And Carl remained uninjured.

In football news, I won my first game in the consolation playoff bracket. So the worst I can do is 6th place. Hopefully I'll win this coming weekend, have a .500 season and be 5th in the league. Problem is, I'll be out of town for the last half of the week and I don't know if I'll have internet access or not. I'll need to make my decisions on starters late today, which is bad, because you never know about last minute injuries or arrests.

Well, I must be off to do laundry. And since I probably won't be able to blog again until next week, y'all have a Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home