Monday, January 31, 2005

Random Thoughts on the News

I saw this headline on the Drudge Report this morning: “'Dangerous' Global Warming Possible by 2026 - WWF...” What a joke. First of all, I don’t believe in global warming, and second of all, what does the World Wrestling Federation know about climatology, anyway?

I also saw a headline where the mayor of Baghdad wants to build a statue of George W. Bush in the middle of the city. Now, while I like Mr. Bush and I appreciate the gratitude of the mayor, I think a statue of Mr. Bush in Baghdad is a really bad idea. A statue of an American president in Iraq would, I think, send the message that the USA means to occupy Iraq and use its government as a puppet regime. That’s not a good thing: in fact, that would be a very, very BAD thing, and I don’t think that’s the message that President Bush wants to send, anyway. So I have a better idea. Build a statue, carved out of white marble, depicting several Iraqi citizens, but find a way to permanently dye the statue’s fingers purple. Now that would be a great monument to their democracy!

<>Haven’t you just loved the stories coming out of Iraq about the people going to vote? Like how an Iraqi soldier tucked his rifle under his arm and with his other arm guided a blind, elderly Iraqi woman into the polling place? Or how other people were carrying the elderly and disabled to the polling places since private cars were banned from the streets? Isn’t that just over the top way too cool?!? I’ve heard estimates that 72% of eligible people voted. Fantastic! These people are reveling in their new-found freedom. (Too bad we Americans take our freedom for granted, and some even abuse their privileges.)

I’ve also seen estimates that 44 people were killed by homicide bombers trying to disrupt the elections. Nine of the 44 were the bombers themselves. That’s tragic, isn’t it? It’s really too sad to write about any further, so I won’t, except to say that I feel very sorry for both the bombers and their victims.

<>Meanwhile, back in the good ol’ USA; it’s snowing in the nation’s heartland. Not a lot, just a dusting, and it will probably melt off by the end of the day as the meteorologists predict a daytime high of 35 degrees. <>

I wonder if any of those meteorologists ever wrestled?

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

ha! a statue with purple fingers, very funny

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home