Friday, September 24, 2004

Gifts

Today is my birthday, and quite frankly, it's no big deal. I'm old enough that birthdays just aren't worth getting too worked up about. However, I did get a couple of very nice gifts. My husband got me the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD. That didn't take much convincing - "Gee, honey, next time you're in Wal-Mart why don't you go to the electronics section and buy some DVD's?" It's like sending a kid to Toys R Us.

The other nice gift I got came courtesy of my oldest daughter and her elementary school. The school gives out monthly awards to three members of each class: one for citizenship, one for effort, and one for student of the month. Well, my girl won the Effort award for her class. What a great gift to get from your child, seeing them honored for working hard at their schoolwork even though its difficult for her (because of her autism). She tries so hard to do well, yet keeps a cheerful attitude. If this is not an answer to years of prayers, I don't know what is. Thank you, Lord, for taking care of my "disabled" baby, and helping her in school to achieve those things I was afraid she never would achieve. My heart felt so cold the day they told me she had autism. Thank you, God, for warming my heart back up.

I am also blessed that my youngest doesn't seem to be having any academic difficulty. After she missed that week of school, she and I sat down together and did her "homework" i.e. the stuff she had to make up. I didn't hardly have to prompt her at all, she just whipped right through it. Thank you, Master, for Boo-Boo being so smart, and yet so cuddly at the same time.

And now, a change of subject. After two weeks of fantasy football, I must admit that I am 0 for 2 and am in last place in the league. I don't expect this standing to change because in retrospect I chose a team based more on what I knew of the players from college, and not from their pro careers. I also went with players that I'd heard alot about on TV, but because here they only broadcast midwest teams, my roster is mostly midwestern players. I don't think I have anyone from an East coast team, and the West coast guys I have are from the collegiate Big 10 conference. Oh, well. There's always next year. Look out for the Nuclear Moose!

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Happy Birthday . . . late. I am so sorry that I didn't realize it was your birthday. I don't have anyone's birthdays written down so i never remember them. I can't rely on my mom to remind me of that stuff forever, so i'll add that to my calendar. Also I wanted to leave you a post so that you knew I really did read your blog. Thanks for checking in on mine.

love,
shannon

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home