Wednesday, November 30, 2005

To Blatherskite or Not To Blatherskite

What a question. Of course I'm going to blatherskite!

First off, fantasy football. I'm finally recovering and am back in sixth place. Carl remains in third place. We both won our games last week. Only two more weeks until the playoffs!

Secondly, as has been somewhat widely discussed, I've been looking for a job. However, after consulting with some incredibly wise friends on a blog MOAT, I've come to the conclusion that maybe I don't have enough current education to get a wonderful work-from-home job. So this morning I called Kirkwood Community College's Office of Counseling, and they've enrolled me in a free workshop designed to help me figure out what kind of "career" I can chase and if I need to go back to school or not. Weird, huh? 42 years old and going back to school with a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds. After the workshop I have an appointment to meet with the counselor who's running the workshop to discuss the results of my workshop tests.

Now, I know what you're thinking: after two and a half years of struggling with Carl's advanced education, why would I want to go back to school? Simple. I graduated from college 18 years ago, and my degree has become pretty much obsolete. Plus, I feel the need to generate some income around here, because after 9 years of living in Atkins, the house needs a little work and we can't afford to do improvements on just Carl's salary. On top of that, our medical bills this year put us in kind of a hole, and although we've gotten out of the hole, there's no guarantee we won't fall back in unless there's money in savings to plug the hole. So I need to find a way to make some money while still being available for the girls, and the only way I can do that is with the right kind of education. Therefore, I might go back to school. Can't you just see me, sitting in class, my salt-and-pepper greying hair standing out amongst the zit-encrusted faces of kids barely out of high school? Me, in my dowdy jeans and sweatshirt, seated next to some kid dressed in black with multiple piercings throughout his/her face? I can kinda-sorta see it. Can't you?

Oh, come on. Use your imagination!

4 Comments:

Blogger Leetie said...

Good luck with the workshop! I'd definitely like to know how it turns out.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because you're older doesn't mean that you can't and shouldn't learn new things. I'm 50 and just completed a second Bachelor's degree in an entirely different field. I did my first degree about 26 years ago. I'm now applying to a Masters program. Good luck in your studies. Its actually better when you're more mature. I learned much more than when I was 19 because I wanted to be there and learn.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for it, Aunt N. I found when going back to college the third time I got so much more out of it than I did at 17. And sly just went back and finished at 50 and is considering law school.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom recently went back to school to get her nurse's recertification... she had some of my old classmates in her classes and got along great. It's been my experience that college-age students are very accepting of "non-trads".

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home