Thursday, July 15, 2004

Deja vu days

I am experiencing a new phenomenom this summer. I call it "having a deja vu day". It happens when I'm doing something with my girls, and all of a sudden I get sucked into a cranial time vortex where I'm simultaneously in the present (2004) but also in the year 1974.

Let me give you an example: Last week, I was folding laundry with my oldest daughter. While I was watching her work, a breeze blew in through the window and I suddenly realized that I was watching myself, in 1974, fold laundry with my mom and I had become my mom. It was an ethereal, disorienting feeling, and it creeped me out a little. So I called my mom and asked her if anything like this had ever happened to her, and she said yes. Whew! If it happens to Mom, it must be a somewhat normal thing.

This summer, more than any other, has brought back alot of childhood memories, and I'm trying to figure out why. It's been a relatively cool summer, and the windows have been open alot. The windows were always open when I was a kid, because we didn't have air conditioning. But there's something else about this summer. Every once in a while I'll hear a sound or smell a scent that instantly transports me back 30 years to my childhood on our farm. It's a weird, but I must admit pleasant sensation, because the memories are never unpleasant. Hmmmm...

I'm feeling a little odd right now, as a matter of fact. I think I'll go open the windows (it's a cool morning) put on some Credence Clearwater Revival music, and go look out my back door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home